World Getting Smaller

Monday, December 19, 2005

Memories from IIT-Kanpur


Looking back:
My time at IIT-Kanpur was an experience that transformed me from a "worldly-unaware" town-boy to self-sustainable person for this cut-throat competitive world, from a carefree soul to a confident person

It was as if the stone in me was polished to be passed on to the next phase - the evaluation phase in which I would determine what kind of gem I can be. This reminds me of the saying: "Life is a grindstone. Whether it grinds you down or polishes you up, depends upon what you're made of"


I remember:
  • Galaxy and the enthusiasm and the can-do attitude with creativity
  • Inter-IIT Sports Meet and the teamwork and the beat-competition
  • Lectures and the reason of you being there
  • BTP Project and the patience of my professor to teach us how to solve the problems in life
  • Exams and the photocopies and the night-outs
  • Gymkhana elections and the negotiations and the "dirty" politics
  • Adventure Sports Club and the beauty of the nature and the pleasure of being on the planet earth
  • "Ragging" and the enterance into the world of elites
  • Bulla and the misuse of open door policy (open communication) :-)
  • Quad/Canteen and the showcase of authority
  • Computer Center and the extremes of hackerdom and PC games
  • Movie Shows and the time to relax
  • Antaragini and the fun time and the girls
  • Campus Interviews and the new suit that you purchased for the occasion


The Lesson
Tried and tested almost every single-time, the only lesson anyones ever learn at IIT is being confident. Being confident when he plays his hand irrespective of the odd that he might be playing against. Being confident to snatch that win yet another time


Did I learn The Lesson
I learnt only the half-lesson - somewhat like Abhimanyu - where I did decent in the first half (extra curricular) and slept in the other half (academics)
I would have probably missed The Lesson altogether if it were not for Rajan Gupta: I owe Rajan as much as Eklavya owed to Guru Druna

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home